STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: Michael John Mullett Eastern Florida State College, Palm Bay Florida Campus AS Engineering Technology

When Michael Mullett embarked on his educational journey, his life was in flux. Back in 2011 after the economy crashed, he was unsure of the future. He knew he needed to make a career change and find something he could do until he retired. He decided to pursue an Associate Degree in Engineering Technology. Read about Michael’s foray into the program and how it has given him a renewed purpose in life in his own words.

My Journey into Engineering Technology 

By Michael John Mullett 

I started back in college setting my goals on pursuing a degree in computer science. I wanted to change my current career to something sustainable and, given my age, working on computers was the best career choice for me. When I started working at my current company three years ago, I intended to secure an IT-related position within the company, but instead saw a different path. Thereafter, I took a break from school and discovered something else I wanted to pursue. I changed my major to engineering technology. I spent a lot of time with industrial, electronic, and mechanical engineers and realized this is what I wanted to do before I retire. I am now 59 and can't 

wait to get started in my new career. All my classes have been fun. The teachers have been great, very knowledgeable and very helpful. All of them make you feel comfortable and relaxed.   

I am a “people person” so getting out and meeting older and younger people is great for me. My advice for students is to relax, have fun, and build rapport with teachers and fellow students. As far as work experience and/or internships is concerned, I was able to secure an IT internship at Health First Hospitals. As part of my internship, I did IT support and networking throughout Brevard County which culminated into a contract job which I gave me three years of experience. The hands-on component of classes I took at Eastern Florida State College gave me the tools/skills to be able to do what I needed to do for the job.  Upon graduation, I plan on securing an engineering-related position, and/or continue to enroll in certificate courses as needed at Eastern Florida State College.

The best part was I got the chance to meet many people. The teachers I met were so helpful in getting me through all my classes which at times were intimidating. The students worked as a team to help other students get through the challenging portion of the programs/courses. I have had such a good time going to Eastern Florida State College. Thank you EFSC!



No comments :

Post a Comment